Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Heart Is Smiling



Wow. The past two days have been muy loco (very crazy). Yesterday, after a day of pricing out
supplies and appliances, Tony got an urgent phone call. Ronnie and some other guys at the rehab center had broken out of the window that morning. An intervention was to be had. Prayers, tears and conversations smothered in emotions finally brought Ronnies decision to stay in Los Pinos with his family rather than go back to the center. Ronnie had only been in rehab for 2 weeks.

2 weeks of freedom- 2 weeks of change- 2
weeks of joy amidst struggle- 2 weeks of future dreams- 2 weeks of being clean.

 
Right now Ronnie is surrounded by temptation. As far as we know he hasn’t stumbled. Praise the
Lord. He is staying with his mom’s sister and will hopefully be able to go to a different village to live with his grandparents. Much prayer is needed.

The phone call surprised me because every time we’ve gone to visit Ronnie he’s been so joyful
and making so much progress. I understand that this is all just a part of life but seeing him sobbing and making the decision not to go back was hard. I feel sad for my friend but I believe in him. I especially believe in Jesus who can work miracles, change ANY heart, and can turn anything bad into good for those who love him. Right now we just need to leave Ronnie in God’s hands. I need to.

Tony made a good point this morning that we can’t let this get us down because that’s exactly
what satan wants. We need to focus on who God is giving us right now in this moment- which was perfect because today we did exactly that!

Today was beyond lovely. My face reflects my smiling heart.

We met Fernandoafter his first day back at school and took him out for lunch. He told Tony
that he loves school and wants to go everyday now. He said he didn’t even carethat he had so much homework! He is so precious J Afterwards we brought him back into Los Pinos where he lives. We drove down, bouncing on the bumpy dirt roads. When we pulled up to the stairway that climbs the mountainside there were a few people to greet us.Tony turned off the car and we just visited with everyone who came by. I have so much love for these people. My heart was filled with joy as I
got to see many of them that I got close with last time and hadn’t seen yet since being here. I got to see my Carlitos, Fanni, Jennifer… the list goes on. It was so exciting for me to introduce my sisters to them. I love introducing people I love to more people I love! I even got to meet a couple of the moms of the kids we spend time with so that was neat.

I love how the minute Tony pulls up in Los Pinos, parks, and opens his doors people young and
old just filter out of the wood work to greet him. Tony is like a magnet forthis community. They absolutely love him and want him to love them back. And he does, very much so.

While we were there Fanni took us up the mountain to her house. What a trek. I can’t imagine
climbing that multiple times in a day especially in the rain. It’s a miracle we made it down without landing on our bottoms atleast once! Fanni lives in a house with her abuela (grandma) and her hermano (brother) Luis. Two little open rooms and a small kitchen make up their house. Pictures of them with WR friends adorned the walls as well as stuffed animals. Although it was not much compared to North American standards it was quaint, homey and filled with love. What more could we want? Maybe I shouldn’t ask that question haha… We stayed for about an hour and by the time we had to leave there were even more people milling around than before, a few in the car not wanting us to leave or for us to take them with us!

Thus, today has been wonderful. God is good. His ways are perfect even though they don’t always make sense to my mind. I’m excited to see what the rest of the week has in store. As far as tomorrow morning goes, my sisters and I will have the whole house to ourselves! Woot! No boys. Keep in mind, we love boys but are unused to so many all the time as we are used to only live with girls… and my dad I know I can speak for all of us in that we are excited for some peace and quiet.

Ps. Thanks for your support and encouraging words! All are greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    Its so good to hear from you! I could hear your heart breaking ovver Ronnie's decision. Its so hard when we are helping someone and they choose not to be helped. Tony is amazing by saying not to doubt or get down because that's what satan wants. I will be praying for Ronnie and all of you. What a wonderful day it ended up being. God blessed you so much with seeing the others you hadn't seen yet and introducing them to your sisters.

    I want to encourage you , Nati and Kai to not give up and press hard and perverse not in your own strength but in God's. He is in control even when it doesn't look like it. He knows what is best even when we think our way is. Its hard not to be disappointed when stories like Ronnie's takes a turn we were not expecting. I'm encouraged by the writings and thanks so much. What Tony said about satan really spoke to me personally where I have been disappointed in where I thought God wanted me to be and its not happening. I am so glad to have received this today.

    Keep your eyes on Jesus girls he's the only way!!

    Love Aunty Emme xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Schweetie, That is AWESOME that Ronnie was clean for 2 weeks...what a big step in the right direction. :))) Ronnie is on a journey, like the rest of us, and there will be bumps in the road along the way...trusting God for the outcome is the way to go. We will continue to uphold Ronnie in prayer that he will continue to make good choices. How exciting you were reunited with some loved ones too. I am rejoicing with you! I can only imagine how wonderful that was to see them all... to hug them and laugh with them again. So glad God gave you those blessings yesterday. :) Enjoy your 'piece of quiet' this morning...I expect you're all sleeping in with no one there to come and tell you, "it's morning!" ;)

    Love and hugs,
    ~Momsie

    ReplyDelete